Young Carers: Information for children and families:
What does it mean to be a young carer?
Young carers are people under 18 who to look after someone in their family who is ill, disabled, has mental health problems or who is misusing drugs or alcohol.
Caring can involve physical or emotional care or taking responsibility for someone’s safety or wellbeing. The level of responsibility assumed by a young carer will usually go beyond simply helping out with jobs at home (which we understand is a normal part of growing up) and exceed what you would expect for their age. Some example of responsibilities young carers might have are:
· Organising or administering medication for the person they care for;
· Helping the person they care for to wash or have a bath/shower;
· Being responsible for the shopping, cooking or cleaning;
· Reassuring or comforting the person they care for;
· Accompanying the person they care for to appointments or to leave the house;
· Looking after a sibling because a parent is unable to do so due to their illness.
Identifying and supporting young carers.
At Gosforth Central Middle School there are dedicated staff members to support young carers and their families. If you would like any support and feel that this issue affects your family please contact the school on 0191 285 1793 and ask for the following staff:
Mrs Marianne Good - Senior Leadership Team, young carer’s champion.
Mrs Helen Walton – Support team, young carer’s champion.
In school we have the following support available for young carers:
- A weekly lunchtime drop in session.
- One to one support.
- A carer friendly and supportive environment with information and guidance easily accessible.
You can also get information about support available in Newcastle from ‘Newcastle Carers’ who offer support for carers of all ages.
0191 275 5060
Alternative regional young carers support services:
North Tyneside Young Carers
www.ntyoungcarers.com 0191 643 2298
Northumberland Young Carers
www.northumberlandyoungcarers.org.uk 0844 800 7354
www.carerstrusttw.org.uk 01207 549 780